How hard is it for international students to get into University of Canterbury in New Zealand?
Thanks for the A2A. I suggest that you go and check the University of Canterbury’s Apply and enrol | University of Canterbury portal. Different programs have different requirements. It depends on whether you are enrolling at foundation, BA, or postgraduate level. International students at Canterbury and other NZ universities also have to meet certain English-language requirements. I suggest reading their guidelines
University of Canterbury Admissions 2020-2021, International Applicants, Deadlines & Eligibility
The University of Canterbury has been ranked among the top 250 colleges in the world. They enroll about 14,000 students every year from 80 countries. The ratio of females to males is 49:51. The university provides education in the field of Arts, Engineering, Science, Education, Health and Human Development and Business and Law. they provide both graduate and undergraduate programs in these areas.
- Admission to all programs is merit-based.
- The university evaluate based on the previous academic records and English language scores from standardized tests.
- The university invites exchange applicants from over 50 universities worldwide.
- They also have a unique Erskine Fellowship programme brings 75 international academics each year
|Application portal||Online Application|
|Application fees (for international students)||N/A|
|Average SAT score||Not required|
|Average ACT score||Not required|
|Mode of payment||Online transaction through credit cards|
|Intake season (for international students)||February and July|
|Work experience||Not required|
|Financial aid (for international students)||Scholarship|
University of Canterbury Admissions Deadlines
The students should submit their application before the deadline. The students applying for graduate programs should apply at least 6 months before the semester starts so that they are left with enough time to apply for the visa and travel bookings.
|Intake Sessions||Application deadlines (UG)||Application deadlines (PG)|
|Semester 1 (Starts in February)||31st October||31st October in the year before the study|
|Semester 2 (Starts in July)||30 April||1st April in the year of study|
University of Canterbury International Students Admission
The University of Canterbury warmly invites international students to apply for various graduate and undergraduate programs. There are a few different requirements for international students and they are:
- Students will have to submit an identification proof, which would include their residency and citizenship.
- If English is not their primary language then they will have to take the English proficiency test to prove their English competency.
- Information about their academic background and their qualifications should be equivalent to New Zealand’s qualifications.
- Financial statements to show that they have sufficient funds to pay for their living and tuition expenses.
- After completion of the application form, they will also require to accept a declaration.
English Proficiency Test Scores
International applicants, whose primary language is not English should take up the standardizes tests to prove their competency in English. Below are the minimum scores required in the following exams:
|English Language Tests||Minimum Scores Required Undergraduate Programs||Minimum Scores Required Graduate Programs|
|IELTS||Overall 6.0, with a minimum of 5.5 in reading, writing, listening and speaking||Overall 6.5, with a minimum of 6.0 in reading, writing, listening and speaking|
|TOEFL (IBT)||Overall 80, with at least 19 in reading, writing and listening||Overall 90, with at least 19 in reading, writing and listening|
|TOEFL (PBT)||Overall 559 and TWE with a minimum score of 4.5||Overall 575 and TWE with a minimum score of 4.5|
|CCEL EAP||Level 2 with a minimum C+ grade||Level 2 with a minimum B+ grade|
|CAE or CPE||169 with at least 162 in reading, writing, listening and speaking||176 with at least 169 in reading, writing, listening and speaking|
|Pearson Test of English||PTE with an overall score of 50 and no PTE communicative skill below 42||PTE with an overall score of 58 and no PTE communicative skill below 50|
|NZCEL||Level 4 Academic endorsement||Level 5|
Visa process for international students
The international students will have to apply online from online immigration. Keep all your documents scanned before applying. You will have to pay the application fees and pass an interview to get a visa successfully.
Documents required are:
- Valid passport (should be valid for at least 3 months beyond your period of stay)
- Students visa application form (completed and signed)
- Receipt of the application fee payment i.e. approximately 295 NZD + Rs. 690.
- Offer letter from the institution you have applied. This offer letter should state the minimum course duration, total tuition fee.
- Letter from your current institution confirming your status as a study abroad student.
- Receipt of health Insurance
- 2 passport size photographs.
- Certificates and transcripts of the schools and colleges attended.
- English proficiency test scores of TOEFL or IELTS
- Scores of GMAT or GRE if the institution requires these scores for admission.
- Financial statements, showing how you are going to fund your study and living expenses.
University of Canterbury Undergraduate Admissions
The university provides more than 150 courses, and students can apply for any of the following courses. The details for admission are mentioned below:
Where to apply: Online Application
Application fees: N/A
- Online application.
- Identification proof including citizenship and residency.
- Reason for admission
- International students should provide English proficiency proof.
- Official transcripts as proof of your academic history.
- Financial statement, showing that you are capable to fund your tuition and living expenses.
- Intended qualification of study
- Intended study date
University of Canterbury Postgraduate Admissions
Where to apply: Online Application
Application fees: N/A
The required documents are:
- Alternative identification like a birth certificate or identity card of your own country.
- Applicants who have changed their names after the qualification should provide documents like deed poll or marriage certificate.
- Passport details for proof of residency.
- Certified original copies of the transcripts should be submitted. And if the certificate is not in English then certified translation should be submitted along.
|Course||Application Deadline||Academic Requirements|
|Master of Commerce (M.com)||Semester 1 – 31st October in the year before the study Semester 2 – 1st April in the year of study||B+ average in final-year in subject areas like accounting, taxation, etc.|
|Master of applied data science||B Grade Point Average in 300-level bachelor’s degree courses,|
|Master of Architecture Engineering||Bachelor’s degree with First or Second Class Honours in a subject related to building design, or equivalent; or a postgraduate diploma in an equivalent subject.|
|Master of Science in Applied Psychology (APSY).||165 points in PSYC courses and at least 135 points at 200 level and above. An average of at least a B grade over three PSYC 300-level courses (B+ grade for a BSc(Hons))|
|MSc in Biotechnology||Students should have completed their Bachelor of Science in biotechnology.|
The university takes more than a month to inform the selection of the candidates. Still, the postgraduate program candidates should apply 6 months before the semester starts so that they have enough time to apply for the visa.