There are several ways you can gain admission to degree study at the University of Waikato. We have information available appropriate to your intended level of study.
Undergraduate entry requirements
It is likely that you will be accepted into a Waikato degree if you meet one of the five entry criteria requirements. However, some degrees have additional entry requirements.
If you’re living in Australia we have additional information to explain the transition to studying in New Zealand.
If you are seeking entrance with an overseas qualification we provide equivalent entry qualifications for many countries.
The admission guidelines do not guarantee entry into a programme of studies. Each application is assessed on a case-by-case basis. If your qualification or country is not listed in our undergraduate international entrance guidelines, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t meet the entry criteria?
If you do not meet the entry criteria or need further preparation for degree study, we also offer a range of bridging and pathway programmes.
Pathway Programmes at the Waikato Pathways College
The Waikato Pathways College offers pathway programmes for students who don’t meet the academic or English language requirements for degree-level study:
- The Certificate of University Preparation is for students with a New Zealand secondary school qualification who don’t meet the direct university entry requirements. Upon successful completion, students can progress to an undergraduate degree.
- The Foundation Studies programme is for international students who don’t meet the direct university entry requirements. Upon successful completion, students can progress to an undergraduate degree.
- The Academic English programme is for international students who need to improve their English language skills to prepare for the Foundation Studies programme at the Waikato Pathways College, or a range of degree courses at the University of Waikato.
- The General English Programme is for international students who want to improve their everyday language skills in preparation for the academic English course at the Waikato Pathways College.
Jump Start Programme
- The Jump Start Programme, a short summer course for school leavers, particularly those with lower NCEA credits (or equivalent) in core areas such as literacy, maths, and science.
Postgraduate entry requirements
Find out about our entry requirements for Postgraduate study.
If you are an international student, you will also need to meet an English language entry requirement.
If you do not meet the requirement for your chosen postgraduate qualification, we have Academic English Language programmes available that you can enrol in to help you meet these entry requirements.
Applications for Higher Research Degree study can be received at any time and you can begin your study as soon as your enrolment has been confirmed.
When you apply to undertake a higher research degree, your application will be assessed to check that you meet the admission criteria for Higher Research Degree study as well as meeting the specific entry criteria for the qualification in which you wish to enrol.
You will need to meet both academic and English Language entry requirements to study at the University of Waikato on a study abroad programme.